Western Carolina University is required to participate in the UNC General Administration (UNC-GA) Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) for bulk IT purchasing. The purpose of the program is to reduce the cost of equipment and support. All IT purchases for institutional use will be completed through the UNC-GA CPI program.
Important elements of this policy are listed below:
- Desktop and laptop PCs are currently covered by this program.
- UNC-GA has negotiated with vendors for the best prices for a range of standard desktop and laptop computer configurations intended to meet diverse computing needs while also reducing the total cost of ownership. EPEAT/Energy Star requirements are also included for energy conservation.
- Purchases may be made only from our approved vendor, currently Dell. This includes purchases using state funds, grants, or any other special funding.
- Apple products may be purchased but are not yet part of the CPI program.
- Purchasers will be required to use the WCU Dell Market Place e-procurement system which may be accessed at http://premier.dell.com/.
- Non-standard configurations that may be necessary for special situations will require approval through a new exception approval process. UNC-GA requires the total expenditure for exceptions not to exceed 20% of the total computer purchases.
Six standard configurations are available:
|Mid-Level||Optiplex 5050||Durable choice for everyday multitasking using standard business applications. Small form factor desktops with business-critical features and the space to add additional peripherals.|
|High-End||Optiplex 7050||High performance choice for more intensive needs, such as Autodesk’s AutoCAD and other specialty apps. Small Form Factor desktops with Intel® vPro™ Technology deliver maximum performance and the space to add additional peripherals.|
|All-in-One||OptiPlex 7450 AIO||Conserve valuable desk space with a clean and simple all-in-one design. Maximize space and improve productivity with the world’s most secure, manageable and reliable commercial all-in-one desktop.|
|Mid-Level||Latitude 5480||Durable choice for everyday multitasking using standard business applications. The ultimate 14.0″ productivity tool, designed for better security, manageability and reliability. Built with a versatile design and essential business features.|
|High-End||Latitude 5580||Choice for more intensive needs, such as Photoshop or video editing. A 15.6″ laptop built for ultimate productivity and performance. Featuring top of the line security features and flexible docking options.|
|Portable 2-in-1||Latitude 5285||Choice for Faculty and Staff who travel frequently or require a thin, light laptop. 12″ screen that weighs less than 2 lbs, the Latitude 5285 2-in-1 is built for mobility. From meetings around the office to traveling across the country, its thin and light frame can fit anywhere.|
Note: For information on personal and student purchases, please visit our Student and Personal Computer Purchases page.
WCU Faculty and Staff IT purchases for institutional use using state funds, grants, or any other special funding.
Web tools for purchasing are available 24/7. Personal assistance is available by appointment, Monday-Friday, 8-5.
Developing and maintaining standards for computers, desktop support for all standard purchasing configurations, help with shipping and receiving, working with Purchasing Department on pricing and ordering.
Charge for this Service
For more Information
Accessory items available at the WCU Bookstore include software, cables, surge protectors, security kits.
Contact the IT Help Desk
Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m – 6:30 p.m.
Closed weekends and university holidays
Call: 227-7487 or 866-928-7487 (toll free)
Log in: Online Help Desk/IT Self-Service http://help.wcu.edu
Visit the Technology Commons
On the ground floor of Hunter Library
For walk-up technology assistance for faculty, staff and students
See our hours at tc.wcu.edu